History

Prior to 1957, the only synagogue in Fair Lawn was on the west side of town. Families living in the northeast corner decided to form a temple closer to their homes. On February 13, 1957, forty men and women met to discuss the possibility. The name Temple Beth Sholom was suggested, 2 brothers donated a Torah, and a dream was born. Two months later, the first
Temple Bulletin was published. In May, the first temporary officers were elected and a rabbi was hired. Hebrew School commenced in September with 150 students. Classes were held at the Edison School up the street. High Holiday services were held at the nearby Fair Lawn Beach club.

That November an “official residence” was purchased, a pink house on Fair Lawn Avenue. By December 1958, one hundred families had joined Temple Beth Sholom.


In 1960, land on the corner of Fair Lawn Avenue and Saddle River Road known as the “red barn property” was purchased.

 

red barn property picture

Groundbreaking for a new building was held in July 1961


016-GroundbreakingTempleBethShalom1961

It was completed 10 months later and included a sanctuary, classrooms, a library, kitchen and offices.


TBS 1961 cropped

During the 1970s we had outgrown our building and in 1978 an expansion project commenced.

Twice in our history other synagogues have join us. In 1981, we welcomed the members of Congregation Ohav Shalom of Rochelle Park and, in 2007, members of the Elmwood Park Jewish Center became part of our Temple family.


Temple Beth Sholom celebrated its 55
th anniversary in 2012.

Copyright 2016 History. Temple Beth Sholom 40-25 Fair Lawn Ave Fair Lawn NJ 07410 WWW.TBSFL.ORG - (201)797-9321
Templates Joomla 1.7 by Wordpress themes free